Reverse Publishing with Classifieds
When we introduced Reverse Publishing from WordPress to InDesign for articles, the feedback was overwhelmingly positive and we quickly realized the importance of this feature to the online and print publishing industry. We knew that we had to continue expanding upon the idea and bring similar functionality to other areas of the printing process. We are now able to offer a full Classifieds System with Reverse Publishing!
This system allows you to manage your classifieds ads entirely through your website. You can take orders through an online order form that automatically collects payment from the customer and creates the classified ad in the system. Orders are forwarded to your staff for approval, at which point they are published online with just the click of a button. Once you’ve approved all orders for the week, you can easily export the classified ads and images to be used in your print edition.
The video above demonstrates the process from start to finish, or you can see below for a more detailed overview.
Manually Creating Your Ads Online
- From your WordPress Dashboard, find the link titled Classifieds and click Add New Classified.
- Enter a title for the ad, and enter the ad copy itself into the large textbox.
- Select a category and sub-category (if applicable) for your ad.
- Enter address & location information (if required)
- At the bottom of the right hand column is a box to upload attachments. Upload an image to display with your classified ad if you have one.
- Click “Publish” to publish the ad.
Exporting for Reverse Publishing
Once your ads are all published online, it is time to export the whole batch for placement in the print edition.
- From your WordPress Dashboard, find the link titled Classifieds Reverse Pub.
- Click the Settings tab to make sure your export settings are correct.
- Show Last Level Categories Only – Only show the category that the ad is assigned to, not the parents.
- Includes Titles In Export – Determines whether to include titles with each ad.
- Include Category Only Once In File – Determines whether a category is included only once per file, or if it is included for each individual ad.
- Include Images – Determines whether your export will include images.
- Once you’ve verified your settings, click back to the Preview tab.
- Click the button to Generate Tab Classifieds.
- You should now see a preview of the included ads, with each ad listed by title along with the filename of any included images.
- Click Download Tab Zip Archive to download the export file.
- ← Including Article Category in the URL for Improved SEO
- SEO Best Practices: Structuring URLs for your news site →