News Brief: New Advertising Opportunities Created by the Audio Podcast Boom
Click play to LISTEN to the article below
Here at Our Hometown, we try to stay on top of the latest developments when it comes to online newspaper publishing. In this News Brief, we’re highlighting a piece by Micaeli Rourke over at Digital Content Next about the ways podcasting is impacting ad revenue.
“The podcast advertising market continues to rise steadily, quarter after quarter.”– said Micaeli Rourke
The article, “As podcasting soars, advertising follows,” discusses the ways that audio program listenership has increased despite many people’s lack of a commute in recent years. An increase in ad spending has followed in tandem with an expanding podcast audience.
Here are a few of our big takeaways:
- As of 2021, 28% of the US population over the age of 12 listens to podcasts on a weekly basis.
- Between 2020 and 2021, podcast advertising increased by 40% and is expected to reach $1.6 billion by the end of the year.
- Studies show that advertisements that are read in a casual tone by podcast hosts are 48% more effective.
Podcasting is a great medium for any outlet looking to attract younger readers, as well as a great source of a growing amount of adshare. Because of this, Our Hometown developed Audio Article Podcasts to help newspapers to tap into the podcast market in a way that is accessible to newsrooms of all sizes and technical capabilities.
- ← Art Cullen of Storm Lake Times interviewed by NPR
- News Brief: News Apps Provide High Engagement and Strenghthen Subscriber Bases →