The basic Search function
Using the “Search for” field only
- The directory will check the entry titles, description and taxonomies (tags and categories) of the listings.
- The results will be listed in order of relevance depending on the keyword(s) entered.
- For example, if you only search for “hotel“, the results will be returned with listings that have hotel in the title first, etc:
Using the “Near” field only
- When you enter a location in the Near field, GD will calculate the center of that location.
- The directory will then look for all listings within an area with a default that match the Search for criteria.
- Your default search area is set at GD > General > Search.
- The default GD search is not an IN search, but a search NEAR THE CENTER OF.
- For example, assuming your site has listings in New York, and you enter “World Trade Center” in the Near field, the results will return all listings in order of proximity to the World Trade Center:
Using both the “Search for” and the “Near” field
- When using both fields for searching, all relevant results will be returned in order of proximity:
Tips and tricks
Adding featured listings to the search page
- Because search results will always be ordered by relevance to the search criteria, any featured listings will be included in the search results using the same relevance to the visitors keywords used.
- But you can add a Popular Post widget, filtered for featured listings only in the top section or sidebar etc.